Sunday, April 1, 2012

Sunday's

The First Day of the week
Even Though it really is the last day.

That is, on Sunday I find myself tying up all the loose ends of life that have come unraveled during the week, and getting myself prepared for tomorrow.  Now, from my viewpoint, that's what you do at the end of the week, not the beginning.

Be that as it may, I laid my cameras out, in preparation of a long trip I expect to take come Thursday.


I know, I know, I'm supposed to use a digital camera.  I do.  My iPhone.  You can see it in the picture below.

I know, I know, I'm always weeks behind because it takes time to get the film developed, then scan the pictures into my computer and then download.  Work.  Lots.  But.....


Aren't your hands just itching to hold one of these?  Mine are.  Especially for the Minox, spy camera.  Oh, well.  That's what age does to you.

Today was also change the oil day...

That was fun.  Okay, perhaps not really fun with a Capital F, but, nothing broke, nothing spilled and I stayed relatively clean, so that all counts for something.

Fun.

Speaking of which, this coming Thursday, Tom - of Scooter by the Sea fame,  http://scooterbythesea.blogspot.com/
and I, will take a 314 mile -roundtrip - ride from Portland all the way north to Moosehead Lake, in Greenville.  At least I hope I can talk Tom into going.  It should, well, okay, it could be interesting – Google Map says 3-hours, 45-minutes, but I'm sure that's at a faster pace than I can manage.  Fifty is tops for me - except for down hill with a tailwind.  Should be fun.

Ah, well, time to close down and get ready to tomorrow, which you will recall is Monday, time for the SPEAK FREELY radio program.
Join us if you can.  You can stream us in on WMPG's website:


We're on starting at 1:30 PM EST.
Much fun.  See ya there.

7 comments:

  1. I wanna play with the Rollei!! Your trip sounds exciting! Don't take too long getting those pictures developed. Hehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the Rollei is real pretty. I had it cleaned two years ago and the guy just drooled all over the place. It's rather old, but runs smooth as silk.
      Just as soon as you come on up, you can shoot as many rolls as you wish.

      How about that?

      Delete
  2. Mike:

    Our parallel worlds are closing in. I also have a collection of Minox 8x11. My favourites are the "A"s since they are so small. I also have a few Tessina's 18x24, which are known as the "Watergate" cameras. I still have new cassettes. If you need me to slit any film for you just let me know. I have a Minox slitter, it was the original one offered by Minox. I also have the developing tank and Minox enlarger too bad you didn't live closer. I also have several MF film systems. (Hasselblad CM500, SuperWide, Mamiya 7, Mamiya 650Pro, Fuji GSW690, plus a few 4x5's

    bob
    Riding the Wet Coast

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I guess you'll just have to move that stuff east. Anyway, you guys have it all wrong: The Sun is supposed to COME UP out of the ocean, not GO DOWN into it.
      I haven't done as much with the Minox that i'd like because the development and print costs are rather high.
      It looks as if you've got quite a collection.
      I'm afraid I'm not sure what you mean by slitting film.
      So much to learn, so little time.
      Ciao.

      Delete
    2. Mike:

      Re: Film slitter: A 36 exp roll of 35mm film is put at one end (all of this in the dark, or in a dark bag). the film is attached to a take up spool at the other end. You wind the film through blades which slice/slit the film to 9.4mm widths. It also removes the perforations on both sides of the film at the same time, which is discarded. You end up with 2 strips of 9.4mm film which when cut in half lengthwise, produces 4 strips 9.4mm x 20" long. These strips are rolled and put into the feed end of a minox cassette, the leader is left out and taped to the take-up spool. the end caps are taped. so one roll of 35mm x 36 exp film can produce 4 rolls of Minox film. All you need are 4 cassettes which I can reload for you. If you shoot B&W I can describe how you can develop in a single s/s developing tank. then you can scan or enlarge your negatives.

      this link may interest you
      http://www.greenspun.com/bboard/q-and-a.tcl?topic=Minox+Photography

      bob
      Riding the Wet Coast

      Delete
  3. Mike,

    Sorry that I can't make it Thursday. But I am looking forward to doing it next Monday. The weather ahead is looking good, so we should be warm - whatever that means in a Maine Spring! I took out all the winter gear I'd thoughtlessly packed away during that deceiving hot spell.

    Tom

    ReplyDelete