Friday, September 28, 2012

Stand Back!

I'm Dangerous!


Anything can happen when I plan a trip, and usually does.
First, I look at the map hanging on the basement door...


Then, I figure-out where I want to go: Fryeburg.  Then get an idea of how far away it is....


Hmmm, not bad, about what? 2, 2 1/2 inches?  Easy stuff.

I fail, yet again, to remember that this is M...A...I...N...E.  Big.
That little blue water between my fingers is 12-miles long and 126 miles around.  A big space, you know?

Turns out it's 60 miles direct to Fryeburg.  But when did I ever plan a direct route?

Let's see.... go left, then right, then left and left again, and so on and so forth.
Good! Just about 80 miles to 
Fryeburg and the 
Fryeburg Fair!



Ahh, but this was a dry run, just to see how it goes.

So, I grab hold of Tom of Scooter by the Sea fame, and talk another Tom, whom we met through our local scooter shop and meet at our usual place, to take the plunge with us, and
so off I will go with Tom-Tom.
Neat eh?

First I arrive, then New Tom arrives and......
he's got a Cancer Pink Vesper 150.




It's really classy looking, and certainly gets attention.  Tom got it for a song and its a special edition, so there are only a few in existence.

Within two minutes, Tom showed up.  Sounds repetitive no?


The two bond instantly, and for the next couple of minutes, the two Vesper owners talk Vesper, leaving a poor Honda owner to stand and gaze...




That done, we saddled up and headed out.

Didn't take long to figure out that we were lost...


Was it this bridge we were supposed to go over?

Or, this one?


Is this thing safe?



That water doesn't look inviting....





And so it went.  However.  By dint of shear intelligence, many wrong turns and false starts


We, by ignoring signs,


 All signs,






And, following our map,

We finally arrived in

 Whereupon we went straight to the local BBQ joint, and chowed down.







Bellies full, we were able to focus on the foliage.

Unfortunately, only a few trees are starting to turn, so here and there are sprinkles of red.  Otherwise, it's still green.













At this point we all were dragging a bit, so the original plan of meandering back was put aside and, zooming right along, we took the straight and fast route back.





Stand back!
I'm planning another Trip!

10 comments:

  1. Mike:

    I can't see Oregon on your wall map ? You need to ride farther WEST.

    I love that Pink Vesper, and I have the pink shirt to match

    bob
    Riding the Wet Coast
    My Flickr // My YouTube


    ReplyDelete
  2. Bob: You are so right. I'm thinking father to the west, like New Hampshire, or even Vermont. Could happen.

    All I need is that Aprillia 250.

    Then, watch out America!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew there was something wrong with Tom-Tom. Always getting lost with those outdated maps. ;)

    Looks like a spectacular ride! I cant believe that we have more leaves turning down here than you do! The world is going upside down.

    I love Moderation St. Could never live there myself. But it is respectable. Hehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori... I'm wondering if the reason I got lost is because I kept beating the Tom-Tom. Could be? Yeah, no leaf change yet, but cool - 40's - and wet: rained all day yesterday, looks like rain today.
      We all had the sam reaction to Moderation Street! The scooters reared up and took off like a bat out of hell!
      Ciao...

      Delete
  4. Now, this one cracked me up. Thanks for the laughs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Martha.... Thanks for the compliment. It's the least I can do for all the enjoyment you give. The first thing I do, when I turn the computer on, is to see what gem you're offering!
      Thanks again. Now, if you and Bob would get your acts together and move out here, the world would be infinitely a better place to live.
      Ciao...

      Delete
  5. Getting lost is half the fun on the back roads even with a map in hand.

    The red of those maples sure is pretty. I bet your scenery is stunning when it all changes.

    And why is it I think that last pictures just seems so fitting............

    ReplyDelete
  6. Trobairitz... I'm glad you feel that way. We should ride together - lost completely, but sure to get there.

    Our scenery IS spectacular, but everything is hanging on to summer as long as possible. Oh, well, just more trips to take!

    Glad you liked the last picture of me on my secret weapon. But look at what the other two were riding! A person needs to do what needs to be done.....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mike & BRW:

    I hope you are both all right. Thinking of you two

    bob
    Riding the Wet Coast
    My Flickr // My YouTube



    ReplyDelete
  8. I think you're doing great job with your blog!

    el scootere
    elscooter


    ReplyDelete